Tuesday 18 October 2011

Brand New

It's been almost a week since I last posted, [apologies] but I have a VERY good excuse. We moved into our BRAND NEW house on Tuesday, and we've been busy making it our home! Along with all the boxes to move, unpack, sort and organize, comes the marking of territory [so to speak] that my little men must do around their new neighborhood. This process entails hunting down the best parks [there are so many to choose from!] scouting out the best water features [the lake wins in my books - the boys have yet to decide] and making friends left right and center. Why is it that children can make friends so easily??? Darius saw some kids at the park as we played on Saturday evening [and by kids, I mean three 11 year old girls who could care less about my sweet and precocious three year old boy] and stated very matter of fact, "there's some kids Mom! I'm going to go talk to them." Then off he strode to those girls, who proceeded to ignore him until he lost interest in them and challenged me to a race. Thank goodness he's such a resilient little man!

Anyways, with all the bustling about, blogging has been put on the back burner. Now that I'm feeling a little more settled, and am starting to see the light as the boxes empty and retreat to the basement, I actually took the time to go for a run in what feels like FOREVER! My Amazing Husband held onto the monitor [and dutifully folded laundry - thanks Hon!] while I hit the streets for my inaugural run in our new digs. After not running for weeks [packing, cleaning, and moving out take up LOADS of time - time I usually reserve for me haha] it felt good to pound out a 45 minute run with only minor hiccups.

Here's the breakdown:

Distance: unknown
Time: 45 minutes
Speed: actual unknown/ perceived 6.5 mph range

Making the transition from mainly treadmill running back to gravel, dirt and pavement is oddly nice and relaxing. I forgot how distracting the flashing display can be, and how meditative nature [even with roads, cars, and houses crowding around me] can be.

Do you prefer to run on a treadmill? Or do you enjoy fresh air and nature - even if you're in the middle of a concrete jungle?

After my run I enjoyed a large organic carrot and homemade hummus. Hummus is soooo incredibly easy to make that it should be in everyones fridge at all times [personal opinion...but still very true.] My favorite hummus flavors are roasted garlic and roasted red pepper, but I always start with the same base. For those of you who aren't sure where to start with making their own hummus, but whom now believe that maybe they should have some in their fridge right now, here's how to make it happen!

Super Easy Hummus

1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed clean
2tbsp tahini [sesame seed butter]
4tbsp lemon juice
4 tbsp olive oil
garlic to taste
spices or roasted vegetables to taste, as desired

Blend all the above ingredients in the blender until a consistent, spreadable dip is achieved. Now enjoy!

There are loads of variations on this basic hummus recipe, and while I haven't tried this one I'm dying to try Cheri's Peanut Butter Hummus she posted recently. Doesn't it look Divine?



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts and have you contribute to the blog! Thanks for stopping by and reading :)